On this blog, we’ve discussed the types of home improvement you can carry out without seeking planning permission. Of the many possibilities, we found that most people start with the patio doors.
Who can blame them? Old doors are notoriously energy-inefficient and negatively affect a home’s curb appeal. They can also be a security risk.
What you should look for when buying a patio door
We’ve found that most homeowners consider the following variables before they make a choice. Choosing the best patio door starts with assessing the building and what kind of doors will fit.
Fit with existing Design – Whether the patio door looks out on a garden or is used to enclose a small conservatory, it will be a focal point of any room it’s fitted in. Homeowners are advised to think of how a style of door will fit with the existing architecture. While they can choose between hinged, sliding and, some restrictions may apply.
- Hinged doors are great if the space to be covered isn’t more than 2 leaves wide; any larger and they become difficult to open and close.
- work best when there isn’t much space around the patio door.
- Bi-folds are the most versatile as they can be constructed in with multiple leaves and in different configurations.
Door Frame Material – With one style chosen, what kind of material should the door frame be? With options ranging from wood, PVC and aluminium, it is important to understand the difference between the materials. The following is a brief explanation; for more information, contact SRL Limited.
- PVC frames are easy to install and just as easy to maintain. They are easily customizable since they come in a wide range of colours to match the exterior of the home.
- Wood frames offer a more rustic, traditional look and they are used if aesthetics are the most important variable. While they look good, they are also high maintenance fittings.
- Aluminium frames combine low maintenance and high durability to create a solid frame for your patio doors. They can also be supplied with a thermal break. It’s no wonder they are a preferred customer choice.
Energy Efficiency – The right patio door can help improve your home’s energy efficiency. A combination of the right frame around modified glass will reduce the need to keep the heating on throughout winter.
You’d be surprised at the amount of glass options available; there is one for every conceivable need. You can get acoustic glass, self cleaning glass, fire-proof glass, etc. To get the best efficiency levels, we recommend the installation of Low-E glass. Low-E is glass that has been treated with a thin transparent layer of metal. The coating allows it to reflect sunlight away from the room, and keep the room at a stable temperature. It also stops heat from escaping in the winter.
Choosing a renovation project may have seemed simple, but making the best choices isn’t as straightforward. The best patio doors combine the positives characteristics to help homeowners improve energy efficiency and aesthetics.
SRL Limited is a leading supplier of bespoke bi-fold door units. We work with clients to determine the ideal configuration for their property and we are backed by many years of experience. Call us today and let’s get your renovation underway.